Friday, May 6, 2011

Prose: You Make Me Forget

You make me forget.
Did you know that?
I didn’t think so.
But it is true.

How, I couldn’t begin to tell you.
All that I know is that you do.
And I’m not going to ask why.
I’ll take it for what it is.

Though exactly what it is
Is a totally different question.

You make me forget the words and games,
The wasted time and spent breaths,
The lies told and the falsehoods seen.
I forget the pain and anger and untold tears.

I forget the times and places.
The clouds and the rain.
I don’t remember the names and the voices,
You make me forget all of it.

I forget all this and I remember you.
I remember the smell of your hair
Right after you finish it.
I remember you walking through the door.

I remember the few stray hairs
That fall across your face.
And the slight rise of your voice
When you get excited.

I remember the slight smile on your face
When you fall asleep on my lap.
And the way you pull yourself
Closer into my arms every time I shift.

I remember you, eyes closed
Smile on your lips when you told me,
“You make me smile.”
Yes, I remember this.

You make me remember watching you dance.
The way you move your body,
And when you look over your shoulder at me,
Seems like you are dancing for me alone.

Too, I remember when our lips touched.
More than anything else, when at last we kiss.
And it’s not just a kiss, but a gift.
Your face in my hands, nothing else exists,
I remember this.

You make me remember,
And you make me forget.
I don’t know what it is,
And I know what it’s not.
But I’ll take it and put it away there-
Where all memorable things go.
There it’ll stay, till I or my body disappears.
Whichever comes first,
Maybe I will finally forget to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment